Igor Palmin. Towards the Light
15.05.2013 - 30.06. 2013
The Lumiere Brothers Center for Photography presents “Towards the Light” - a series of architectural works by Igor Palmin
Residential house of E. Barsova, Saint-Petersburg, architect E.Morozov, 1911-1912
Igor Palmin was born in 1933 in Volgograd. In 1936 his family moved to Voronezh. In 1955 Palmin graduated from geological faculty of Voronezh State University. From 1958 to 1964 he studied at the All-Russian State Institute of Cinematography.
In 1962 Igor Palmin moved to Moscow and began working as a camera man at a laboratory of the Russian Academy of Sciences. In the mid 1960s he started participating in group exhibitions of the renowned photo club “Novator”.
In the late 1960s Palmin got acquainted with the nonconformist artists – Ernst Neizvestny, Vladimir Nemukhin, Dmitry Plavinsky, Dmitry Krasnopevtsev, Vladimir Weisberg – who influenced his work. In 1969 artist and collector Lev Kropivnitsky secured him a place at the editorial of the “Decorative Arts” magazine, while architect and artist Vyatscheslav Koleichuk introduced Palmin to the world of architectural photography.
Since 1980s Igor Palmin has been focusing on architecture. He collaborated with the leading Russian publishing houses: “Art”, “Soviet Artist” and “Soviet Writer”. He has published the books “Moscow Mansions” (1997), “Russian Neo-classical architecture” (2002), “Alternative Art” (2005), “Russian modern”(1990) and others. The books “Russian modern”(1990), “Russian Neo-classical architecture” (2002) were marked by the State Prize of the Russian Federation for outstanding contributions in literature and the arts.
The exposition includes 25 works selected by the artist